A very partial list of works to be covered in coming months

Welcome to World War I Literature, Art, and Cinema.  Over the next few years the centenary of the 1914-1918 Great War/World War I will be marked by covering numerous histories, poems, novels, artwork, and cinemas that were either created during the war or were written in relation to that devastating world-wide conflict.  While the primary language of the writer (and possible contributors) is English, there will be attempts made to cover, either in translation or in the original idiom, works produced by people who spoke French, Italian, Spanish, German, Romanian, and other languages.  The list below, which is for now quite small, represents a smattering of the literature that will be reviewed in the coming months (starting in May-June 2014) and years:

Erich Maria Remarque, All Quiet on the Western Front (novel to be read in German and English and Spanish translations; 1930 cinema)

Modris Eksteins, Rites of Spring (cultural history)

Barbara Tuchman, The Guns of August (history)

Ford Madox Ford, Parade’s End (novel trilogy)

Liviu Rebreanu, The Forest of the Hanged (cinema; novel will be read in Romanian)

Vicente Blasco Ibáñez, The Four Riders of the Apocalypse (novel)

Robert Graves, Goodbye to All That (memoir that in part covers his experiences in World War I)

Henri Barbusse, Under Fire (novel)

Jaroslav Hašek, The Good Soldier Svejk (novel)

John Dos Passos, The Three Soldiers (novel)

Dalton Trumbo, Johnny Got His Gun (novel)

Mario Rigoni Stern, Storia di Tönle/L’anno della vittoria (novels)

Mark Helprin, A Soldier of the Great War (novel)

Pat Barker, Regeneration trilogy (novels)

Wilfred Owen, “Anthem for Doomed Youth” (poetry – will cover his other major war poems as well)

Siegfried Sassoon, Memoirs of a Fox-Hunting Man (novel); The War Poems of Siegfried Sassoon (poetry)

Greg King and Sue Woolmans, The Assassination of the Archduke:  Sarajevo 1914 and the Romance That Changed the World (history)

R.C. Sherriff, Journey’s End (play)

Miroslav Krleža, Hrvatski Bog Mars (short stories; title translated from Serbo-Croatian is The Croatian God Mars)

Joseph Boyden, Three Day Road (novel)

Tim Cross (ed.), The Lost Voices of World War I:  An International Anthology of Writers, Poets & Playwrights (anthology)

Thomas M. Johnson, The Lost Battalion (history)

The Lost Battalion (1919 movie)

Sergeant York (movie)

H.G. Well, Mr. Britling Sees It Through (novel)

William Boyd, An Ice Cream War (novel); The New Confessions (novel)

Donald Jack, Three Cheers for Me

The African Queen (movie)

Virginia Woolf, Mrs. Dalloway (novel)

Romain Rolland, Clerambault (novel; reading in both French and English translation)

Raymond Radiguet, Le diable au corps (novel; French)

Ivo Andrić, The Bridge on the Drina (last part of novel is set in WWI; will read in both translation and the Serbian edition)

Stefan Sweig, “Buchmendel” (German short story)

L. Frank Baum, Aunt Jane’s Nieces in the Red Cross (1915 edition; novel)

Alexander Soltzhenitsyn, August 1914 (novel)

Alan Kramer, Dynamic of Destruction:  Culture and Mass Killing in the First World War (history)

C.S. Forester, Brown on Resolution (novel)

Jessica Gregson, The Angel Makers (novel)

Philippe Claudel, Les âmes grises (French; novel)

Arthur Machen, “The Bowmen” (short story, sometimes called “The Angel of Mons”)

In addition, there will be some discussion of some of the propaganda images taken from the war.  These will be interspersed among the literary reviews and essays.

Feel free to leave suggestions for other titles in the comments.  I will be updating this list frequently in the weeks to come.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Lists, World War I Literature. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to A very partial list of works to be covered in coming months

1. K. says:

What about the first three books in Canadian writer Donald Jack’s classic Bandy Papers series: Three Cheers For Me, That’s Me in the Middle, and It’s Me Again?

2. Ben says:

I do hope Three Day Road eventually makes the list as well.

3. Paul Kincaid says:

Mr Britling Sees it Through and Boon by H.G. Wells; An Ice Cream War and The New Confessions by William Boyd; The African Queen (film); and on and on.

4. Larry says:

Sounds like each of these can work nicely (and Ben, I already bought it, I just forgot to type it in at the time). I’ll edit the list later today with more additions. Thanks!

5. Didier says:

I would highly recommend Croatian God Mars (Hrvatski Bog Mars) by Miroslav Krleza, his short sotry collection largely centered on the peasant soldier experience.

• Larry says:

Just placed an order for it. Thanks! Might be a while before I read/review it, though, but it’ll be good practice even if there is no English translation readily available.

• Didier says:

That is a bit of a rub. I’ve seen German-language books pop up on your reading lists, though; I know there’s a German translation out there. I read it in Dutch myself. A bit odd how Krleza is snubbed in English (or desperately needs a reprint).

• Larry says:

I’ve been studying Serbian off-and-on for a while now, so it’s not out of question to try reading the Croatian variant of Serbo-Croatian. I do have several dictionaries at my disposal as well. While I can read German, I like to tackle the original if it’s in an I-E language and a script that I can read. Agreed that it’s strange that he has only one work available in English translation.

6. Paul Kincaid says:

Forgot the obvious one: Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.

7. Larry says:

The obvious ones are the easiest to forget, alas. Will edit it in now.

8. Paul Kincaid says:

And another obvious one: The Bowmen by Arthur Machen, source of the legend of the Angel of Mons.

9. Larry says:

I’ll add it to the list! Interesting set of connections already starting to be made now.

10. Paul Kincaid says:

The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club by Dorothy L. Sayers, a fairly good crime novel but at its heart is an account of the effects of shell shock in the post-war world.